Thursday, November 17, 2005

Long Lost Friend

If you have been reading this blog for very long or you happen to know the physical me as well as the cyber me, you have heard me mention two very special friends, Craig the paranoid-schizophrenic-alcoholic-Christian and Brian the non-practicing Buddhist. Here's a quick update.

Craig has been living in peace with his parents for the last six months which is a miracle in and of itself. He will celebrate one year of sobriety in January and his new medication is giving him a better life. He carries the scars of an attempted suicide on his arms and neck, but desires to live now and is really doing well.

Over the last year and a half, I have spent more time with Brian than any other friend. Hardly a week has gone by that we didn't see each other at least twice. Thursdays and Sundays like clock work. Brians life improved in major ways during that time with the help of some very loving people he came to know through our church community. He cleaned up, got a job and began to contribute to society. My life improved too. I'm better for having known him. I was proud of him, thankful for his friendship and looked forward to the times we got to hang out.

Last week, with no warning, Brian took off. I think he was headed for Boulder, CO, but I'm not really sure. I'm also not sure why he left. All I know is my friend left without saying good-bye and I'm going to miss him.

Today is Thursday and I won't see Brian. After a year and a half of Thursdays, that seems strange. I hope he's safe. I hope he's happy. I hope he finds what he's looking for. I hope he'll call me sometime. I hope.

2 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger Joel said...

Stephen,

We lead together, pray together, serve a church together and do a lot of other "religious" things togeter. Your friendship with Brian is the most Christlike example and I wanted to tell you that I am confident that Brian came to know Jesus through your love. Thank you Stephen. I'm sorry your friend is gone. I'm praying he comes back soon!

I love you bro!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

Stephen I'm so sorry. Your friendship and love for Craig and Brian has encouraged me. They have been blessed by you and Brian will be in my prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home