Thursday, October 20, 2005

You're From Big D, I Can Guess...

You're from Big D
I can guess
By the way you drawl
and the way you dress
You're from Big D
My O yes
I said Big D
Little-a-double-l-a-s!

I had about a half hour to kill yesterday before rehearsal so I wandered down to Starbuck's for a coffee and to read a chapter of Donald Miller's Through Painted Deserts. Much to my dismay, the usually quiet coffee shop had been converted into a junior high cafeteria complete with giggly girls, awkward boys and groups of nerds and cool kids.

The weather was pleasant, so I found a seat outside. The only other adult customer was a woman in her 50's who had also come outside. She was enjoying the weather, her coffee and as far as I could tell a pack and a half of Cool's smoked one right after the other. She was also on her cell phone. It was interesting to say the least, to read about Miller's journey of "light, God and beauty on the open road" with her cell phone conversation focusing on shopping for more stuff, "old bitter" friends and griping about church as back ground music.

In the part of the book I was reading, Donald and his friend Paul are taking a road trip from Houston to the Grand Canyon in an old VW van. They are approaching Dallas from the south. I share his words with you here because if you are not familiar with Big D, you are about to become so and if you are familiar with it, you know Miller is right.

(Dallas) is an odd town...A big, Republican, evangelical city where you can't drink, girls wear black dresses for dates on Wednesday, and the goal is to join the local country club like your daddy and his daddy before him. When you build a city near no mountains and no ocean, you get materialism and traditional religion. People have too much time and lack inspiration.

There is but one Texas, and for Texans there is need for nothing more. A country within a country. Businessmen wear thousand-dollar suits with ten-thousand-dollar Stetsons. They drive king-cab trucks to their office jobs while their wives drive SUV's filled with kids in transit to and from school, band practice and football practice and cheerleading practice, and so on. And they have these little white stickers on the backs of their cars that read, "Michael...Plano Football" or "Michelle...Redmond Cheerleader" advertising their childs achievement like a political statement, teaching their kid that what really matters, what daddy really loves, is what you do. Give me something I can brag about to complete strangers stuck in traffic. Brilliant. I will have to send my mother a sticker that says, "Vagabond" or "Late Sleeper."

I watched the rich kids in Starbuck's buying $4 drinks and listened to the smoking lady rave more and more about less and less and I knew Miller was right and that I am in the center of the materialistic storm. How do I find light, God and beauty here? How can I share it with others here? How do I keep from being swept up in the storm?

And that spells Dallas
Just dig your toe in Dallas
And there's oil all over your address!
Back home in Big D
My O yes
I mean Big D
Little-a-double-l-a-s!

6 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Val said...

Hate to break it to you, but Dallas has no monopoly on materialism. I was just lamenting it on my blog this week from little ol' Abilene.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

You and Wordsworth got it right Val. The world is too much with us, indeed.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Cameron Lawrence said...

Good thoughts here. How do we find beauty in all of that garbage? The closest I can come to giving an answer, from what I have found, is to look for it in God's creation--the landscape and the people. And sometimes people don't seem very beautiful at all, but God sees it. And I think He can help us see it, too. Maybe we just need to ask Him for help in finding beauty. It certainly seems like such a wasteland at times.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger leslie said...

Such a good post! Materialism is anywhere you go. You're right though, it seems more prevalent in the "metroplex" area. That's one of the reasons we left and came back to Abilene. But it's here too, and it's just as easy to get caught up in it.

My dad always tells me,"Appreciate the small things, and slow the pace down." Easy thing to say. Hard thing to do. Thanks for gettin' me thinkin'!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I remember when I was between Dallas and Nashville--doing the show in the metroplex but already having moved to Nashville--feeling the difference. Nashville does NOT lack materialism..by any stretch. However, Nashville, Abilene, Rotan..you name it...none of them hold a candle to Dallas. Miller's right. It's one of the main reasons we couldn't see ourselves there 2 years ago. What a great place to shine the light! Trouble is, it seems to me that nothing seems to deafen or blind people more than money. It's really hard...almost as hard as a camel going through the eye of a needle. Hey--that sounds kinda familiar.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger julie said...

Stephen, I know that I don't know you well but from the brief encounters we have had...I see God's gentle light in you. People in Dallas need to see and feel that gentle light...a light not concerned with what kind of car you drive, what kind of clothes you are wearing or how powerful your job. I felt that gentle glow around you and Stephanie while eating lunch with you in Nashville...just let the people of Dallas feel that and it will change their lives.
The words to songs immediately come to mind. Bebo Norman's Disappear
On a day like this I want to crawl beneath a rock. a million miles from the world, the noise, the commotion. that never seems to stop. and on a day like this I want to run from the routine. run away from the daily grind that can suck the life. right out of me. I only know of one place I can run to... I want to hide in you. the way, the life, the truth. so I can disappear. and love is all there is to see. coming out of me. and you become clear. as I disappear. I don't want to care about earthly things. be caught up in all the lies that trick my eyes. they say it's all about me. I'm so tired of it being about me... I would rather be cast away. separated from the human race. if I don't bring you glory. if I don't bring you glory. if I don't bring you glory.

I believe that Mister Rogers said it best in his song....It's you like, not your toys, they're just beside you.
Have a great weekend!
grace, Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home