Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Old Friends

While watching the mighty Frogs of TCU beat Utah last Thursday I suddenly flashed back to my childhood. I had a wonderful, creative friend named Rich Whittington whose parents were big TCU fans. Every once in awhile Rich would invite me to go to a game with them. Rich's parents were quite a bit younger than mine and their lifestyle was different and fun.

I was really into playing sports when I was a kid and I was pretty good at them. I was fast and pretty coordinated. Unfortunately I think I peaked as an athlete around the third grade. Rich was not an athlete. He humored his dad and me by attempting the occasional basketball game or tennis match, but his heart was never in it. That was fine with me. I had plenty of friends I could play ball with.

Rich was unique. He was creative and funny. We spent hours playing with his impressive collection of Star Wars action figures. We wrote puppet scripts and put on shows. We used our imaginations in ways that none of my other friends did. Rich's house was a fun place to be because Rich was comfortable in his own skin.

Via the miracle of the internet, I found Rich (thank you Google). Rich is the Managing Director at the Triad Stage Theatre in Greensboro, North Carolina. I was so pleased to find him making his living in the theatre, still immersing himself in a creative community. We exchanged email messages and I have to tell you it felt really good to reconnect.

I have been blessed with several good friends in my life. What a treasure.

BST, Fish, Dog, I know I can count on you guys for anything, anytime.

Allen, you inspire me creatively and encourage me to never think of myself more highly than I should.

Brian, you gently challenge me to grow and teach me how to love more deeply.

And the list could go on and on.

I'm thankful for old friends today. I'm thankful for Rich and the role he played in my fond memories of childhood. May my children be so blessed.

2 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Craig said...

Thankful for you being a brother and a friend. I know I really am the coolest out of me, Dog and BST.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Yes, Craig is the coolest. Especially when he's running naked down Westheimer.

Stevie B--I'm grateful too. We had to have a talk last night with Maddie about friendships and the importance of them and how hurtful words can harm them. Long story. Anyway--I'm just so grateful for thre way the three of you ahve stuck by me through thick and thin...through belief and unbelief..through life and death. We're blessed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home