Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Explaining Katrina

As a parent, I'm always looking for teachable moments. Those times when life takes a turn and you stop and share wisdom with your child.

And then something like hurricane Katrina happens.

I've tried to explain the facts. I've tried to share my feelings of sadness. We've met survivors and given aid. But how do I expect my 4 year old to grasp the gravity of the situation when I can't even do that?

Rainey wants to make paper purses for the children and give them some of her toys (note: She said she wanted to give them some of her "bad guy" toys and she emphatically explained to me that Lava Girl is NOT a bad guy). But she can't understand why the builders don't just build them all new houses in our neighborhood and she thinks that the animals left behind must be having a great time playing in all that water.

I guess I just want her to be thankful for what she has and not take things for granted like I've done most of my life.

On another sad note, Ted Harp, a guitar player and singer I've played with a few times, lost his wife after a courageous battle with Parkinsons and asthma and will be burying her tomorrow. Please include Ted in your prayers today for the many who are in mourning right now. May the Great Healer, the God of all peace be with them all.

1 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Oh my---prayers for Ted.

Love you, bud.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home