Thursday, July 28, 2005

Family

Once upon a time there was a beautiful family who lived in nice house in a wonderful neighborhood. These were good looking people mind you who loved to talk about what a tight knit family they were.

"I'm so proud to lead this family!" Father would announce as he straightened his tie.
"I'm so humbled to serve this family!" Mother would announce as she put on her perfume.
"I'm so honored to be part of this family!" Sister would announce as she combed her hair.
"I LOVE this family!" Brother would announce as he played his video games.

Then one day the grass in the yard began to grow.

"That yard is looking a bit unkempt and I don't like the looks of it, not one bit!" Father announced as he straightened his tie.
"I'm tired of living with that long grass." Mother announced as she put on her perfume.
"I wish our yard looked as good as the neighbors yard." Sister announced as she combed her hair.
"Doing yard work is not really my gift." Brother announced as he played his video games.

All the while, a perfectly good lawn mower sat untouched in the garage.

Finally, the yard grew so long that it began to grow up over the beautiful family in the nice house in the wonderful neighborhood.
"Well, if no one is going to do anything about that yard, I'm going to find another family to lead." Father announced as he straightened his tie.
"I'm going to find a family who appreciates me." Mother announced as she put on her perfume. "I'm going to find a family who understands my needs." Sister announced as she combed her hair.
"Who needs a family? I'll be just fine without one." Brother announced as he played his video games.

So, they took their finely tailored, sweet smelling, beautifully coifed and coordinated selves and went their separate ways.

fam-i-ly: Two or more people who share goals and values and have long-term commitments to one another.

3 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Joel said...

The moral of the story is either:

1. Hire a gardner!

or...

2. Only Christ can be the core of your life long commitments. All other ground is shifting sand.

Great post! Deep. True.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Awesome thoughts, brother. There are so many who need this message. Tim said the other day that we are definitely a missional church--trouble is, for a lot of folks the mission is comfort. Love the way you spoke that here. And love YOU! Can't wait to see you guys. You guys are real friends...not like the Fishers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home