Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Communication

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to communicate clearly? There are so many variables involved in the process, most of them non-verbal variables. Teachers and preachers and politicians know this all to well. So do teenagers, parents, spouses, bosses, salespeople and bloggers. Try as we might, our messages are invariably misunderstood.

Communication is frustrating and sometimes dangerous. My wife has punched me in the arm on numerous occasions over a misunderstanding. Businesses, marriages and friendships have failed because of poor or lacking communication.

I have a degree in communication. Yes, I was made sport of for earning this degree until I entered the business world and met people who could read a spreadsheet but couldn't write or speak well enough to lead a girl scout troupe. I quickly learned to read a spreadsheet while they struggled mightily, and usually failed to become good communicators.

I encourage you all, for the greater good, do not let yourself be deluded into the belief that communication is something of no great significance, or that it is an easy matter. It is difficult and of utmost importance and effects everything we do.

In the words of author and engineer Norman Augustine, "Simply stated, it is sagacious to eschew obfuscation."

True that.

11 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Lovell's Lookout said...

Bailey- It never ceases to amaze me how 5 people can sit in a meeting and come away with five perspectives as to the focus of the meeting that are so divergent. I am learning that you cannot overcommunicate. Every persons natural tendencies and skill in decoding what we have communicated is as vaired as our fingerprints. IN church leadership I am constantly trying to figure out how to communicate better to different people based on how they hear and process information. It is almost like a game. Yet the stakes are much higher.

The understatement of the decade would be that I have realized these stylistic differences between males and females in marriage. I have been punched a couple of times too. Thanks for your thoughts ( or feelings) on the matter...whichever makes sense to you!!!!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger SG said...

Carley Dodd would be so proud of this post! :) My favorite quote from the human comm. department is still "You can not not communicate!"

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

AMEN! And by that I mean that I am in complete agreement. And by complete agreement I mean that I echo everything you said. Perhaps not every single word, but the sentiment it represents. And by sentiment I mean the heart behind what you were trying to say here...wait, what were you saying again?

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Kelly Vaughn said...

Stephen,
I completely agree with your posting. I graduated with the same degree and have had no regrets! Although when I graduated I was not exactly sure what I was equipped to do...I quickly found out that the communication skills were valuable in every direction that I chose to go..
Very curious as to what prompted these thoughts from you!
This old friend enjoys reading your blog regularly. Blessings on your day...
Kelly Vaughn

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Hello old friend Kelly! I know you are a good communicator. Some of your best has been to God on my behalf! Fortunately, it was simple introspection and not some horrible miscommunication that prompted this post. Hope all is well in your world.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Craig said...

We throw in so much emotion and than can block our listening. When talking with aprents about their children, they will only hear what they want and then twist it to be something different. Always a challenge.

Can you hear me now? Good.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger My Four said...

Remember me? Janet Reed Godbold. Just thought I would drop a quick hello from an old FWC friend.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Joel said...

What the heck are you talking about?

I don't get a word you are saying.

Kidding!

Post Great.
Out Peace!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Janet,
Remember you? Of course! I recall having a slight crush on you. You were a year ahead of me in school right? What a treat to hear from you. As you can tell from a previous post, I'm into reconnecting with old friends right now. Thanks for dropping by, I hope life is treating you well.

Stephen

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

so what you are saying is that communicating is important?

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Bailey,
Greetings from a corporate trainer from India !

Well said ! Communication is not easy ! I am also passionate about this subject. i think Antonio Porchia captured our thoughts very well when he said " I know what I have given you. i do not know what you have received !"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home