Thursday, October 13, 2005

When Someone You Love Dies

"When someone you love dies, you don't lose him all at once; you lose him in pieces over a long time - the way the mail stops coming and his scent fades from the pillows and even from the clothes in his closet and drawers. Gradually you accumulate the parts of him that are gone. Just when the day comes - when there's a particular missing part that overwhelms you with the feeling that he's gone forever - there comes another day, and another specifically missing part."

- John Irving

We still miss you Sam, but we miss you with smiles on our faces because of the memories, the lessons and the legacy you left behind.

To find out more about my friend Sam look to the right and click on BST's Blog.

2 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger judy thomas said...

Thanks, sweet Stephen (I haven't called you that in a long time!) for the thoughts. I am glad he had you guys to harass.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I've always loved that quote and it's SO true. Little things--even seeing his hand-writing can fill me up with emotion. Truth be known, I have one of his plaid Ralph Lauren shirts that hangs in my closet. I've refused to get rid of it for 14 years. (I gave it to him while I worked at Jeffory's Village Peddler in while I was in college!)

Sometimes I do try to imagine that it smells like him. But, for whatever reason, it's comforting to know that it's in there. I see it just about every morning. I've never worn it. I don't think I ever will. May sound weird--but it's comforting to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home