Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Sporty Sport Sport

This is a good time of year for sports fans.

In my part of the world the weather is cooling off a bit. So, while the PGA is wrapping things up, I'm looking forward to cool walks across lush fairways (on my way to the rough to find my ball). I disagree with Twain who said, "Golf is a good walk spoiled." I tend to relate more with P.J. O'Rourke who said, "Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."

The Texas-OU game is this weekend and college football is in full swing. Although I catch the madness of college hoops in March and I think the college football bowl system is just silly, I do enjoy the regular college football season. Something about fall weather, marching bands and co-eds I suppose. I like the pro's too and BTW I'm 4-0 and in first place in my fantasy league thank you very much.

Basketball will begin soon. That's a game I loved to play in my youth and this time of year I always begin to get butterflies in my stomach as if anticipating beginning another season on the court instead of on my couch.

Hockey is starting and even though my heart pumps 50% Canadian blood, I'm not coming back quickly to the NHL. I'm sure my absence will be noticed and they'll get the message not to mess with me just in time for my triumphant return to enjoy the run for Lord Stanley's Cup.

And finally, it's time for baseball in October. That's when I start paying attention. It's difficult for me to enjoy watching "a game with increasingly heightened anticipation of increasingly limited action."1 But since my heart also pumps 50% American blood (make that 5% American, 45% Texan) I can't help but get a little excited when the play-offs roll around.

So to all you other sporty sport sport's out there, raise a glass of your favorite beverage and let's toast the sportiest time of the year.



1 John Irving (but I wish I had said it and that should count for something).

2 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Blogger Pearson Family said...

My blood moves for basketball, having gone to a game 8.5 months pregnant a few years ago, and then taking a 2 month old to a play off game at the AA center is my kind of fun! GO MAVS! I can't wait.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Matt McBryde said...

It's the most, wonderful tiiiiimmme of the year...
Sing with me! ... or not... Fine! Sit there then. I love this time of year!
M@

 

Post a Comment

<< Home