Monday, October 31, 2005

Thank God for James Taylor

I have been moved in recent days to pay more attention to the beautiful gifts God gives us everyday. I am guilty of ignoring the grandeur of mountains on occasion and thumbing my nose at the sunsets God paints for me every evening. He paints them for you too, by the way.

I thought about how I would feel if I gave my daughter the coolest gift ever, not because she earned it or deserved it, but because I love her so much. How excited I would be to give her the gift and how it would break my heart if she thumbed her nose at it. How many days would I continue to offer the gift before I gave up?

He's excited to give me gifts everyday and I break His heart all the time.

So, this morning after a 7:00 meeting at Starbuck's broke up, I hung around to read for a bit. Suddenly I heard the familiar guitar licks of James Taylor over the coffee shop speakers and he broke into a song called You Can Close Your Eyes.

Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning ’round
And I still love you

It's beautiful and J.T. simply brings me joy. I stopped reading, closed my eyes and thanked God for James Taylor and for still loving me. It felt like God created Sweet Baby James just for me (or at least his wonderful music) and I needed to thank Him for that.

I don't want to ignore His gifts anymore. I want to embrace beauty wherever I can find it and be thankful.

5 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Craig said...

I agree. Taking time to find the beauty of things. I celebrate JT with you. Hooray, Hooray, the first of May

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Crazy Jane said...

Hey Stephen, thanks for your reply. I really apologize for pegging you as a fundamentalist.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more from you.

Best,
Crazy Jane

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Lovell's Lookout said...

Stephn- thank God for James Taylor and Starbucks. Some of my greatest inspiration comes when writing sermons at Starbucks-- I think it is the combination of the cool music, colors, caffiene, and looking at people asking, "Is what I am going to say going to connect at all with these people?"
Love your writing... let's hook up soon.. maybe at Starbucks.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Val said...

Gotta love the JT! Just hearing his voice calms me and gives me the warm fuzzies. His was also one of my favorite concerts. And though it's scandalous, I even enjoyed his dirty poetry.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I LOVE JT!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to be in the car with you and Fish Friday morning driving to Abilene. CRAZY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home