Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Ocean of Our Unknowing

Just when I think I have a handle on this thing called life; just when I've almost got it figured out; just when things seem to be headed in "the right" direction, God throws me a curve ball like the death of a friend or the birth of a baby or a sunrise to remind me that what Donald Miller said is absolutely true:

"It turns out the droplet of our knowledge is a bit lost in the ocean of our unknowing."

And I'm reminded that in order to be used by God, I have to get out of the way. I'm reminded that it's not about what I want, what I have, what I know or what I will acquire in the future. I'm reminded that now I only know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

It turns out the droplet of my knowledge is indeed lost in the ocean of my unknowing. And at the end of the day, not only do I have to be okay with that, I have to believe it really is better that way.

6 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Julia--
you really got the gist of this entry.

Stephen--wow. So profound and SO true. I can't wait to see you a week from tonight!

PS: It might be time to add the secret code thingy to block the insightful Julia's.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Block those comments? I count on insight from loving people like Julia...either that or I'm not sure how to install the blocking thingy. I'll have to check into that.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Eric said...

I've been reading Donald Miller's "Searching for God Knows What" and I have enjoyed it the times I remember to pick it up. I have not ready Blue Like Jazz, but I keep either reading references to it, or hearing people talk about it, was it that good?

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Eric, all I can tell you is that I have had more significant conversations about Jesus since I read Blue Like Jazz. Perhaps it just hit me where I needed to be hit, but others have said the same thing. I highly recommend it.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Crazy Jane said...

Hi Stephen, why would God make us and then ask us to get out of his/her way?
That makes no sense to me. If God did a good job, wouldn't the right thing be taking part rather than getting out of the way?

I understand where you're coming from. I did my Jesus Freak time. I just don't think it's the truth.

Best,
Another JT fan

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Jane,

I replied to your comment on your blog 10-31-05. Thanks for the comment. Please, come back and keep in touch. I'd love to hear more from your perspective.

Stephen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home