Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Are You Trying to Tell Me Something?

It's Joel's fault really.

He started all this by giving me a book to read on giving.

Then we spent a couple of hours with Larry James at Central Dallas Ministries talking about helping people and what it means to be a Franciscan Jesus follower.

Next came a series of lessons Joel gave on Jonah and caring for people you don't even like.

He followed that up by asking me about a time in my life when I was most passionate for God and got me talking about a time when I was in community with some guys who were struggling with homosexuality. I remembered how my stomach ached for these men, how I wept with them because I couldn't imagine what it was like to deal with that kind of thing and how I felt so dependent on God to show me how to love those guys.

Finally, during some quiet time I opened my Bible up to Amos and read about how God despised His people's assemblies because they were not really concerned about what He was (and is) concerned about: justice and loving others.

It all came to a head today as I listened to a song called Let Us Be You on Zoe's latest CD, In Christ Alone. I found myself weeping again as they sang these simple words:

Let us be You when a wounded soul cries out for hope
Let us be You when the lonely need to know they're not alone

I don't know who is reading this, but I need to tell you that you are not alone and there is hope.

Brian, you are not alone.

Craig, you're not alone.

Hey Crazy Jane, are you out there? You are not alone!

Dog, Fish, BST, you are not alone.

Wes, Allen, you are not alone.

I'm pretty thick headed sometimes, but I think God is trying to tell me something. Two things actually. 1) Open your eyes and let the people I created know that I love them. 2) Stephen, you are one of those people.

7 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Beaner said...

Freaky. I am a wounded soul, but I was wounded when the life grenade I was trying to throw went off before I was ready, hurting myself & lots of others too. I blog a lot as a way to reach out & know that I'm not alone. There are lots of people hurting out there, either by the sins of others, or their own sins. It's good to be reminded, again & again, that there is hope. I find God's voice speaking to me through lots of avenues, one of them being here tonight. Thank you for posting from your heart! (P.S. - I was in your wife's Community Group @ ZOE & she had good thoughts to share.)

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I am one blessed dude. How did I rate having your influence and brotherhood in my life? God gives us what we DO NOT deserve.

We truly aren't alone. Hallelujah!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Joel said...

and...

and I'm not sorry.

and you're not alone!

and you are loved!

and the quiet time was my idea too.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Craig said...

Thanks for being there with me

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Jim Cymbala's old book, "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" is another one of those reminders. I was researching something when started skimming his book again looking for information but what I got was a reminder of Jesus' love for the untouchables, the outsiders and his disgust at the insiders who had no place for those who didn't fit into their way of thinking.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

Stephen,
I've never met you, but I found your blog today via Beaner's. You obviously have a huge heart and it shows in your writings. JT is one of my faves too. Thanks for brightening my day!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger SG said...

Cazy Jane? If that is who I think it is she is definitly "out there" E-mail me and I'll tell you about it sometime.

These thoughts give me so much hope! Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home