Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Kicking My Coke Habit - Day 23

I have not shared this with a lot of people because it seems like such a small thing. However, for me it is somewhat monumental. Those who know me well know that I like Coke. The Real thing. Not New Coke, not Diet Coke, not some other tricked up Coke. Just good old Coca-Cola. The stuff that burns your throat on the way down and can clean the corrosion off your car battery. Sure I've settled for a Pepsi in a desperate moment, but I LOVE Coke.

In the past I've been a six pack a day man, but most recently I was down to one a day (okay, sometimes two). After seeing my doctor, I decided I needed to cut WAY back and since it was almost time for Lent I went cold turkey. I'm drinking more water and watching what I eat, but I must be honest, I miss it. Especially when I eat my favorite food - anything Mexican. The obvious solution in my opinion is to drink more Margarita's, but something deep within me doubts that is the healthiest way to go. I'm open to suggestions, but more importantly I need to be held accountable, especially after Easter when I don't have Lent and a promise to God to help me stay clean.

My name is Stephen and I'm addicted to Coke.

7 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

I know all too well how difficult it can be. That's why I'm not laughing at you, I'm only laughing to keep from crying.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger SG said...

I gave up Diet Coke and started drinking Iced Tea because it seemed a little healthier, cheaper, and always available. See my blog today (which I typed befor reading this) and you will see that subbing one vice for another is no answer...DANG IT!

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

My name is Donna and I'm addicted to Diet Coke.

I have tried to cut down, I even switched to Diet Mt. Dew since I don't like it as much, but I CRAVE Diet Coke!

Although I think if I was to increase my Margarita consumption I might could give it up for good!!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

speaking of margaritas--headed to the Palmas tonight. Wishing you were here.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Craig said...

Screw it, dude and chug Mountain Dew with me. Do the Dew! Good luck, you are a strong man.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Clarissa said...

My husband was absolutely addicted to Pepsi. The ONLY thing that could make him quit was his diabetes diagnosis a few months back. If it's Pepsi or life, well, he's choosing life.

He's lost 44 pounds since he quit drinking it in November. Pizza Hut accidentally delivered a regular Pepsi instead of a Diet Pepsi recently. It was all he could do not to turn it up and chug, bless his heart. (First one we'd had in the house in months.)

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

buddy-thanks for your comment on the Shaub's site. I know that meant a lot to them. They still talk about the day you and I had lunch over there with their family and the Butlers on my first day to Otter Creek. Almost ten years ago, young man!

Missing you a lot. Call me tomorrow while I'm driving so we can catch up. I should be on the road between 11-3.
Peace, bro-
BST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home