Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Why I Write

When I was in college, I took an English class in which we studied a book called Eight Modern Essayists. I loved the class and remember reading an essay by Joan Didion called Why I Write. She encouraged the reader to say those words out loud, why...I...write. When you say them aloud the sound you hear is I...I...I. Why I Write. I, I, I. How conceded of us to think that anyone else would have any interest whatsoever in what we have to say. And yet here I am, marching into the land of the blog. I will not blog daily as I have not the fortitude for it, but I hope those of you who see this will at least have to wonder about me, possibly re-evaluate me and at best get to know me pretty well.

I like to laugh, I cry at Hallmark commercials, I love musical theatre AND sports, I have been married to the same woman for nearly nine years, we have a 3 year old daughter, and try as they might, my parents did not ruin my life. In fact, I have a fairly healthy relationship with them to this day. That may not make me sound unique, but read it again in the context of our current culture and I think you'll find out that I am freakish.

Happy blogging! I look forward to future weirdness and truth.

6 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I love it!!! This makes my entire week! I will love reading your blog. Just make me a deal--don't forget to still tell me things first. It's about me, remember?

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Craig said...

I talk to you on the phone, see you peiodically and now have to read your crap. I actuallu will enjoy it.
Blogging rocks.
CF

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I stumbled onto BST's blog and saw that you all have your own blogs now. Very cool. I didn't have the confidence to do one on my own so I just participate in the Brown family blog. You guys are great! I look forward to your musings and reflections.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger judy thomas said...

Welcome to world of writers creating memoirs for their children. I will look forward to reading it and learning (as I always do) about things you guys did that I really shouldn't know. Love, Judy Thomas

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Val said...

Regardless of why you write, I'm glad you are writing. It's a better way to keep up with you than when I see you on rare occasions. Keep it up.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Brad said...

Blogging's great, but it'll never beat conversation at a warm Starbucks on a cold day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home