Tuesday, February 15, 2005

V-Day and B-Day

My wife was born 33 years ago today. The day after Valentine's Day. Now I'm sure her parents did not think this through and choose this date simply to frustrate her future husband, but it makes things difficult for a guy who has trouble coming up with good gift ideas. Add to that the fact that Stephanie gave up CHOCOLATE for Lent. That's sort of a staple Valentine's present. You know, kind of a gimme. Not this year.

And there's another problem. In my family, when it was your birthday you were aloud to pick what Mom would make for dinner. If you were lucky, a card or a shirt might get thrown into the deal. In Stephanie's family, it is customary to remember every birthday of every living ancestor, including those who still live in Germany whom you have never met. In other words, my family...not a big deal; Steph's family...HUGE DEAL.

My parents have tried to be sensitive to this fact by remembering Stephanie's special day. One year on my birthday I received the usual fair from my folks, they shelled out a five spot for a card and a rolled up poster. They thought I could frame it and put it in my office. In other words, they gave me the task and expense of framing a cheap poster. Happy birthday son. One month later on her birthday, Stephanie received a nice card containing $200 from these very same people proving that down playing my birthdays all my life had been a complete sham.

I love my wife and I am certainly glad she was born. Her kindness is a needed balance for my cynicism and her beauty begins at the core of her being and works it's way to her every part, inside and out. She is a Godly woman and a woman without guile. She makes our home a place that I can't wait to return to every time I walk out the door. She is a fantastic mother. She loves me, takes care of me, spoils me and challenges me. I hope she will also forgive me for my sometimes clumsy efforts to communicate all of that to her and for my ineptitude when it comes to gift giving.

I love you S. Happy V-Day and B-Day!

3 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Happy Birthday Steph!!!

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Tod Brown said...

Happy Birthday Stephanie! I hope you get a really nice and expensive present from your husband. Don't settle for flowery words on a free blog. Make him work at it. We are so glad he found you.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

Happy Birthday Stephanie! I'm so glad you are part of the Bailey family even if we do drive you crazy...Tell Rainey we got her Valentine today and we love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home