Friday, January 28, 2005

Annoying Parents

A very wise and sometimes wiley woman I love reminded me that as a father, one good reason to blog is simply to create something your children can look back on and get to know a part of you they might not otherwise remember. Thank you Miss Judy. Another reason is to write things down about your children so you don't forget them.

Just after the New Year Stephanie and I took Rainey to Six Flags for Holiday in the Park. Here's a tip: Do not attend Holiday in the Park at Six Flags Over Texas on the last day it's open. None of the shows were running, the 4-D Sponge Bob experience was shown in 2-D and the employees were tolerating the guests at best. Never the less, Rainey had a wonderful time and on the way home declared that she would like some ice cream. Allow me to set the scene for you. I'm in the drivers seat, Steph is the co-pilot and Rainey is in her car seat in the middle of the back seat.

Rainey: I want some ice cream.
Stephanie: Well, if you eat a good supper when we get home you can have some.
Rainey: No, I just want the ice cream!
Stephanie: Well, if you can't behave maybe you can't have any ice cream at all.
Rainey: You're annoying.
Stephanie: What did you say?
Rainey: You are annoying.
Stephanie: Do you know what that means?
Rainey: It means nobody wants to be around you. Everybody is writing about it. It's in all the papers.
Stephanie (hurt): That is not a very nice thing to say and it hurt my feelings.
Stephen (stifling a laugh): Rainey, if you can't be nice maybe you should just be quiet for the rest of the trip home.
Rainey (under her breath): I guess you're annoying too.

I related to my daughter in that moment. I empathized with her. It is annoying when you don't get your way and can't understand why. When your ice cream dreams are crushed by authorities with no good explanation of why they should not be pursued. Which brings me to this elders meeting I attended last week at my church...but that's for another time.

1 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger CL said...

Stephen,

Glad to read your blog...were we in the same meeting? Blessings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home