Monday, January 31, 2005

The Ten Tenors

Stephanie and I were blessed with two tickets to see The Ten Tenors at the Majestic Theatre in downtown Dallas last night. If you are not familiar with The Ten Tenors, they are ten Australian, classically trained tenors who perform everything from classical opera "with the boring bits taken out" to Australian folk music to the Bee-Gee's and the Beach Boys to my personal favorite of the evening, Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. I have to be honest here, these were $50 tickets that were given to us. I'm not sure I thought the show was worth $50 per ticket. However, it only cost us $5 for parking and another $7 for post-show Starbucks and it was certainly worth that.

After the show we were discussing our favorite parts and participating in some Starbucks induced dreaming about life in general when Stephanie said something about how much fun those boys looked like they were having up there on stage and how that was so infectious. It's true. They did goofy dances and joked with the audience and with each other and we all had a fun time together. They were not forcing it or faking it, they were genuinely having a good time and the audience did too. In fact, I'd probably pay more than $5 to see them again.

Then I thought, what if The Ten Tenors came onstage and instead of doing their show, they stood before the audience and tried to describe the show and tried to convince the audience of how much fun it was and how beautiful their voices are. What if they said in a boring tone, "We sing and dance and joke and it's wonderful. Is anyone having fun yet?" And then they proceeded to just sit there and there was no other interaction with each other or with the audience. Or worse, what if they began to seriously argue with each other about how they should sit on stage or about Sponge Bob's sexuality and began to hate one another based on their individual opinions about meaningless things? How uncomfortable would that be for the audience? Who would pay $5 for parking to see that? Who would even show up if it was free?

But, I digress. That would never happen, right? That's just plain ridiculous. Check out The Ten Tenors at www.thetentenors.com.




7 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

Ahhh! What a great analogy. I may have to borrow it.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Maybe you and I could round up some others...let's see, Val Durrington, Nino Elliott, John Scott Davis, Jason McArthur, Eric Fridge, Jeff Nelson, David Chrane, and Murray Sanderson...we' could tear it up, baby. Tear it up. Fish, of course, would be co-chairman of the tour. Seriously, can you imagine? John Scott would be the cutest, I'd be the funniest, and you'd still be the "longest". (old Take One joke)

Our medley would begin with something Sondhiem and end with something like "Man in the Mirror". We might even get Kyle Dickson to walk acorss stage with a mirror like he did when we were Sing Song Hosts. But--the highlight would come at the end when Doggett is lowered from the ceiling playing his drum set as we break into a final frenzied Bon Jovi number.

It could happen. It could.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I might even pay $5 to see that (if you throw in a Starbucks latte).

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Kyle, what do you mean "poseurs" that Brandon mentioned!!! I'm there if we can get more people like Holly to chip in the $5. (No starbucks though...just QT coffee @ 49 cents.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

My attempt at total anonymity foiled by BST's link. Very nice to hear from you all.
SAB

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger SG said...

I'll pay $10 dollars, sit by Holly, drink a bottled Mocha Frap and run the sound board if you can get that group together! :) Welcome SAB!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

Stephen,
I'm sorry but now your sister has found your blog. Funny you mentioned Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody...Hutton walked in my room singing that the other day and when I joined in he just looked at me and asked how I even knew that song...I asked him the same question.

Keep Blogging and I love you,
lee ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home