Friday, February 04, 2005

Getting Older

I turned 35 last month and I have to tell you, I'm enjoying getting a little older. Each year brings with it an opportunity to become more like my mom. My mother, Rose we call her, went gray in her early thirties and resisted any urge to ever color her hair. In fact, I don't remember when her hair wasn't gray. When I was a kid, people sometimes thought she was my grandmother. That was a little embarrassing, but I watched Rose use this to her full advantage. There is a certain freedom to say things when people think you are older. You can get away with telling people blunt truths and you can really mess with people's minds. When I was a small child, Rose and I teamed up on my innocent young friends on numerous occasions. Now, Rose gets along with children, pierced and tattooed young people and people her own age equally well. She surprises them all with her humor and honesty. She plays the little, gray haired lady role to a tee. After all, she's had over thirty years to perfect it. If you happen to meet her, don't be fooled!

I stopped by Starbucks on my way home this afternoon to grab a mocha frappuccino por moi and a strawberries and cream frap for Steph. The two girls behind the counter looked like they were college age (maybe) and were engaged in a conversation about the movie Napoleon Dynamite. One girl was commenting that her mother (probably older than dirt, like in her forties or something) hated the film. She thought it was "the dumbest thing she'd ever seen." I was about to join the conversation when it dawned on me that in the eyes of these youthful lasses, I resembled one of their parents or teachers or bosses, you know "the man". I immediately thought of Rose. So I listened to their comments and waited for my drinks. As I was leaving I told them, "I'm going home now to draw a liger, a combination of a lion and a tiger bred for its skills and magic." I realize a big question mark is forming over the heads of those of you who have not seen the movie, but those of you who have get it and I took great joy as I reached the door and heard the girl who served me say to her co-worker with surprise and laughter in her voice, "Did you hear what that man said?" I smiled all the way home. Rose would be so proud.

14 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger elizabeth said...

I am embarassed to say I am an almost 30 year old mother of three who has see ND five times. I quote it constantly. Peace, Out.

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

HAAAAAAAAAA! A true Stevie B moment. You're right--Rosie would be so proud. Nitey nite, Liger.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger elizabeth said...

Small world. I remember you from the University C of C days. Todd Brown was my first youth minister when I was in junior high!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Elizabeth: The blog world is a small world! That's really cool. Now to make you feel old: Tod and Lee Ann live in Midland and have 4 kids. Their oldest is Bailey, she's 16.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger elizabeth said...

She was pregnant with Bailey when they left Abilene I think!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

By the way...Bailey's birthday card was priceless. The whole Brown bunch went out for her big day and we passed the card around. Great Liger Stephen. Reagan was especially proud of his cool Uncle Rico. I too have seen Napoleon several times...my 8 year old can do the perfect Kip. Elizabeth who? I'm really feeling old!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Tod Brown said...

Flippin sweet post.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

I was so proud of that birthday card! It took me like, three hours to finish it. I was hoping your guys's family would get a kick out of it.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger elizabeth said...

I was Elizabeth Robinson, daughter of Mike and Roberta Robinson.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

wow--seeing the whole Bailey/Brown family blogging is such a cool thing. Makes me want to hear stories of "Little-Bit".

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

Elizabeth,
I think I remember you...long dark hair? Did you have a brother? So long ago...and I'm almost 40 so my memeory isn't what it used to be.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger elizabeth said...

Lee Ann,
Yes, I used to have long dark hair. It keeps getting blonder and blonder though! I have a younger brother Michael. I was in the same class as Camille Prather and Chad Ezzell. You and I actually shared a cabin one year at Camp Cisco. Haven't thought about that in years. I can't believe you are almost 40!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger elizabeth said...

Sorry to keep writing on your blog, Stephen!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Are you kidding, I love it! A reunion right here on my little blog! BTW, I can't believe the nearly 40 thing either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home