Friday, June 24, 2005

I Don't Know

I had an interesting day today. I spent my morning at the office and the first half of my afternoon with a minister talking about how to grow a church. Actually he talked and I listened as he told me exciting stories about mega churches that went from 300 members to 3,000 in one week and baptize 98 people an hour! Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, I'm not that good at statistics. Anyway, that sort of stuff gives me tired head. I'm not saying it's not good, it just gives me tired head.

I left that conversation and visited a family of 5 living in one room at the Budget Suites. Rent was due and they had no money. I was able to help with the rent, play with their three beautiful little girls and talk to the dad for awhile. After that I spent some time with my friend Brian-the-former-Buddhist-now-Jesus-follower in his apartment with no air conditioning. No big deal, it was only 97 degrees today. The heat of the summer is yet to come. Brian is looking for a job so he doesn't have to go back to live in a shelter or on the streets. Neither one of those visits gave me tired head.

I'm not even sure what I'm getting at here. Big churches can do big things as long as they are organized and don't waste energy fighting among themselves. Big churches have deep pockets which is a good thing because they usually have big mortgages to pay before they can help the family at the Budget Suites with a couple of bills. Big churches are great for finding your place and plugging in, or getting lost.

But you know what? I am Tiger Woods...I mean I am the church and I can help one person at a time. On my way home I stopped at the driving range and pounded a small bucket of balls. I picked up dinner for Steph at this little Thai place and thanked God I'm not in charge of any of this.

3 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Brad said...

Wow, thanks for the perspective. You the man.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger SG said...

What BV said! Wow Stephen! That is all so true!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Joel said...

Stephen,

You can only pound one ball at a time. But if I'm standing next to you and we swing in sync then we can together hit two balls. And if we can two more hacks to help us that makes four balls hooking and slicing at the same time.

Jesus told his boys to not worry but be glad that he was going to the Father because Spirit was coming and while Jesus was/is only one man who was bound by space and time (hit one ball at a time) Spirit unleashed in you and me and "the church" ... WOW. Talk about impact!

That Tiger-like display of power would make the lion stop prowling and run back to his gated cage. But Jesus said that not even the gates of hell could stop the church from prevailing!

The problem is that I don't think that hell is all that scared of the church these days.

Keep pounding. There are plenty of more Buddhists and Budget Suite balls to be hit!

Great blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home