Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Suicide Attempt

I've always heard that anytime someone threatens to commit suicide you should take them seriously. I agree with that, but what does it mean? Force them to go to the hospital? Stay with them? What if they threaten it, but then recant?

On Friday my friend Craig told me he thought he wanted to commit suicide. Then he told me he wanted to go live on the streets where he used to live. Then we laughed about how horrible his ideas were. We talked some more and before we parted he told me that he didn't really want to die. He got out of my car and into his dad's truck. His dad came to my car and I told him about our conversation. Craig had threatened this before, but he had never followed through.

Yesterday, the voices became unbearable. Craig's roommate Brian awoke from a nap to find a bloody mess in their bathroom. Craig had slit his wrist and stabbed himself in the neck. He then sat down in the bath tub to die. There was a lot of blood, but for some reason he did not bleed out. At some point he simply stopped bleeding.

Brian convinced him to go to the hospital where they treated his physical wounds, but allowed him to check himself out before he received any psychiatric treatment. He called me this morning and said he felt better, whatever that means.

The crazy thing is that Craig quit drinking a few months ago and we were all excited and proud of him. He has gone steadily down hill ever since. When he was drunk all the time, I worried that he would end up in jail. Now, without the beer to quiet the voices, I fear he'll end up in a grave.

I'm tired and frustrated, but mostly sad. I've known Craig for 23 years (see post from 4-18) and I love him. I'm simply at a loss as to how to help him. Say a prayer for Craig today and for his roommate Brian. And save one for me too.

2 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger MDM said...

Wow, amazing similarities between Craig and Travis. Travis had several failed suicide attempts before his successful one. Trav also lived on the streets for a short time before the end. It was almost more than we could bear knowing our boy was on the streets 24/7. Travis also used substances to calm the voices. Pot seemed to do the best job quieting them. I actually used to be thankful that he could feel relief once in a while. Such a double-edged sword. I physically ache for these tormented people. One thing Travis did not have that Craig has is you. His friends abandoned him as he spiraled down. I know you probably feel at a loss with what to do for your friend, but just keeping tabs on him will give him some comfort and peace. I wish I could tell you more. My brother is finally at peace, but still so many suffer. I have so many questions...My prayers are with you, Craig and Craig's family.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Stephen...I am so sorry for Craig and for everyone who loves him. I am so thankful that he has a friend like you. I'm praying tonight. Love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home