Thursday, April 28, 2005

Art Isn't Easy

One of my favorite musicals is Stephen Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George. In the first act we see the main character, an artist, putting together his masterpiece. He speaks some words that I think of often as I struggle to release control of my own life's painting to the Creator of all good things.

"White. A blank page or canvas. The challenge: bring order to the whole through design, composition, tension, balance, light and harmony."

Pretty good description of what God wants to do in our lives. The trouble is, so many times I think I can do better. What a joke, the clay trying to mold itself! Or I'm convinced that my painting is finished and it's horrible, but permanent. God is also very good at recycling old canvas and making it fresh and new again.

Let go and let the ultimate Artist have control. The paints are His anyway and He knows brush strokes and techniques that will astound you. Be warned however, God is not a paint by the numbers kind of guy. His studio is a beautiful mess! But hey, art isn't easy any way you look at it.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Loved this entry, my brother. Wish I could see you this week. Praying faithfully for you and your decision making.

I must go. So much involved in finishing a hat.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

BST,
That's why I love you my brother! Not many who read this entry would have a clue what I'm talking about. Go make hats were there were no hats before!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home