Saturday, March 26, 2005

Meet the In-Laws

My in-laws are visiting from Idaho for a few days. It's funny, Stephanie and I have been married for nearly 9 years, but her parents live so far away we are still getting to know each other. It is more comfortable every time we are together, but we come from different cultures (Texas, it's a whole other country) and different backgrounds.

They are small town, northwestern, Lutherans who will never leave Idaho and think that the church of Christ is full of holy rollers. For the love (to quote BST). I am a big city, southwestern, Jesus follower who trapped their daughter in Texas and thinks the church of Christ can be a bit stodgy. She's a little shy and he's a hunter. I'm...well, let's just say I've never been decribed as shy and I really like golf. Don't get me wrong, they are good people who love the Lord and raised a wonderful daughter. I really like them, it's just that we are still getting to know each other.

Besides our love for Stephanie, there are two things that bind us together: Jesus and Rainey. I'll assume you've heard of Jesus. In case you don't know, Rainey is our daughter. She is their first grandchild and has changed their lives. Steph's dad (Big Daddy) is playing Polly Pockets with her even as I write this. He's dressing dolls and speaking in funny voices. In moments like these, Stephanie and her brother Scott often ask what he's done with their father. It is pure joy to watch him play with her. Steph's mom (Gran) loves to read to her and quiz her to show off how smart she is.

The power a grandchild wields is amazing. She's changed everything for all of us. I'm thankful for my daughter and I'm thankful for my in-laws. We'll all just keep on getting to know each other.

1 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

wow--wish I could be there as a fly on the wall. Actually, I don't really like flies. So scratch that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home