Wednesday, May 11, 2005

My Little Virtuoso

My three year old daughter Rainey is taking violin lessons. So far she has learned how to hold her instrument, proper playing posture and some things about rhythm. Her teacher Mrs. Thuma invited us to a recital that some of her older students were giving on Monday. We thought it might inspire Rainey to see older kids playing, so we decided to go and Rainey insisted on taking her violin.

The recital was very casual. Mrs. Thuma asked who would like to go first and a little girl raised her hand, took the stage and proceeded to play a simple little song. She took her bow and returned to her seat. Mrs. Thuma asked who wanted to be next and the hand of the little girl in my lap shot up. A surprised Mrs. Thuma invited Rainey up to the stage. She asked Rainey what she would be playing and Rainey said, "I would like to play three pieces." Since she doesn't know any pieces, we were very curious to hear what she would do next. She announced the first piece was called "Boil the Cabbage" and she proceeded to "play" her violin. The audience loved it! For her next number she decided to sing a chorus of "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys." That was only two pieces, but she took her bow and returned to her seat.

The rest of the students played and then Mrs. Thuma asked if anyone had any questions before we were dismissed. Once again, Rainey raised her hand. I guess she realized she had only played 2 of her 3 pieces. She said she would like to play one more. This must have been an original composition, I didn't catch the title. She played it with confidence though and took the final bow of the recital.

She was a big hit. I can't imagine how exciting it will be when she actually learns to play!

5 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Sheryl died last night when I told her this story that you related to me on the phone yesterday. You know that you are completely in for it, right? Rainey is YOU. Just get ready. I will be watching and laughing at every story.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger judy thomas said...

Rainey is her father's daughter. Judy Thomas

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Craig said...

I can not wait until she is in junior high.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

According to Rainey, the third piece she performed was "Follow Everything, Everything to There". It was deep.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Jana said...

I haven't even perused your blog yet, but I just had to say that I really liked what you wrote on BST's blog...telling your dad that the price of ACU tuition was worth it, if only for your three closest friends. Wow. How cool to have those kinds of friends. God bless you and your family!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home