Monday, July 09, 2007

Disconnected

I realized this morning how disconnected I feel. At least I think that's what it is. I read the journal that Tod is keeping here and the comments people are leaving. They move me, but they move me as a disconnected bystander. I see pictures of Connor and pause longer than I would have in the past, but I don't feel the full weight of what has happened. I linger longer in the precious moments that occur everyday with my girls, but not longer than other people who never knew Connor and have been moved by our families tragedy. Like my sister Lee Ann I want to embrace the sadness, but I push it away at the same time.

I'm just so tired.

It was only three weeks ago that we found out Stephanie was pregnant. We were in shock. We were not planning on having another baby. Because of our history with miscarriages, we wanted to keep the news to ourselves (we agreed to tell one friend each) until we heard a heart beat. We figured our family didn't need any more bad news. Our fears turned out to be well founded. We lost the baby on Friday. It's only been three weeks, but it's amazing how quickly you get used to the idea of having another one. We planned and prayed and cried and laughed and lost. Again.

Yesterday on my way home from church I heard a discussion on the radio about names for babies. As I listened I caught myself thinking about what we would name this third child. It was like I had missed the events of the weekend. Disconnected.

I don't know how one willingly connects with that kind of pain and anger. But I fear that if I don't, it will reveal itself later in unhealthy ways. It was everything I could do not to lay into the lady working the drive-thru at KFC yesterday because I thought the price they were charging for a Pepsi was highway robbery (which it is by the way, but I knew that going in).

I've been told it is possible to mourn in a healthy way. I sense that there is no alternative; I have to journey through the pain. But everything in me wants to run away and hide. Escape. Disconnect.

9 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger judy thomas said...

So sorry about the baby. Grief is a journey and we all take the journey in different ways. Be blessed. Miss Judy

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Stephen and Stephanie,

I am so sorry. I'm sad with you and for you. Wish I could hug you both. I've lost a sense of what to pray for these days, but I still try to pray every day. I'll continue to pray your names in my heart.
Love your family,
Jill

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger SG said...

I think you are due a little disconnect. Some escape. Whatever you need. My heart truly goes out to you and Stephanie. I had two miscarriages while not trying to get pregnant. I was a tad bitter and a bit angry that Rob and I had to suffer a loss when we weren't even trying! I didn't know who I was mad at. God? The world? My body? Life? It just seemed so unfair. Why did we ever have to know? It was such a weird bitter time.
I can not imagine what this latest loss has done to your emotions and heart. I am so sorry.
It will get better. These dark days will not last forever. Hold on!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger SG said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger SG said...

Stephen,
I'm sure people are telling you about lots great books to read, but even before the events of the last month, I thought about you when I read this book.


Maybe it was the bluegrass/"blue like me" connection, I don't know. But now I espeically think you would appreciate this book. There is a story behind why I read the book that I'll e-mail you someday.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger julie said...

Stephen, this blog post took me through your grief. I felt like I was walking beside you...not really grasping Connor's death, the excitement of a new pregnancy and the completely unfair loss again. I am typing through tears and wish that you and Stephanie were standing beside me so that I could wrap my arms around you and just say your names over and over again to our Father, the healer. I have told you before that I don't understand loss but I do the emotions that it evokes...and right now....tears.
Know that you are wrapped in love and keep walking this journey in the knowledge that many are walking beside you...some you may not be able to see right now.
Much love sent to you and your family.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I've said this over and over to you but I am just so sad that you're having to walk this path right now. You honored me by telling me about the pregnancy and we have prayed and prayed--and continue to pray. I'm so glad we're brothers.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Martha said...

My name is Martha Rogers and I am a friend of BST and Sheryl. My eyes fill with tears as I read and write b/c we have been where you are. We lost our second when I was 16 weeks along. We were devastated and we still long for her. I wonder what her personality is like and what she looks like. The only thing that brings me peace is knowing where she is. I know she is with my Sweet Jesus. I regularly ask Him to give her an extra hug for us and tell her we will see her soon. It still hurts b/c I still want her( she would be 2 next month). Watermark has a song called "Glory Baby" that helped us through emotions. It is an amazing song written out of their loss of 3 little ones.

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted"...even when we can't feel Him.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Trisha said...

Oh Stephen and Stephanie--I'm so very sorry. I have no words but to say I will pray for comfort for you both. We do love you and your sweet girls.
Trisha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home