Monday, July 02, 2007

Over a Month

It's been over a month now.
Over a month since we entered the foreign land of grief and began trying to learn the language of its inhabitants.
Over a month since being inducted into the society of mourners.
Over a month since our lives were changed. Forever. Permanently.

The reality of what has happened usually hits me at night as I lie in bed silently praying. It hits me like a cold chill. It hits me like sudden nausea. It hits me like a punch in the stomach.

Each day seems to bring a new, "specifically missing part." Last night I mourned Conner the cousin my youngest daughter Emily will never know on earth. That's the two of them in the picture above. Connor had a way with little kids. He had plenty of practice with all of his little cousins and he was wonderful with them. The loss of that relationship sent me reeling last night.

I think of these words from John Irving several times a day:
"When someone you love dies, you don't lose him all at once; you lose him in pieces over a long time - the way the mail stops coming, and his scent fades from the pillows and even from the clothes in his closet and drawers. Gradually, you accumulate the parts of him that are gone. Just when the day comes - when there's a particular missing part that overwhelms you with the feeling that he's gone forever - there comes another day, and another specifically missing part."

5 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

I have been in prayer since I found out about the accident; and will continue to be in prayer for your whole family as you mourn the loss of Conner, as Bailey continues to recover, and as God gives you all the strength and peace to move on while always rememembering. Blessings~

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Amy C said...

I am so sorry! I cannot even begin to imagine your grief. I will continue to pray for your broken hearts.

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can't sleep, nights are hard for me too. We miss Connor so much; so many things throughout our day remind us of him. We think of our Bailey family often and continue to ask for
God to pour out buckets of grace on each of you, every minute of your day. love all of you.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

precious picture. I am so sorry you have to know that depths of grief that can only be reserved for those who've experienced it first-hand. You are right about it being a fraternity. About the only good part of it is that it gives you a new heart for those who experience loss...and your compassion for them will triple. I'd still trade all that to have my dad and Connor back. Your heart, your thoughts, your grief, your rest--are all important to Sheryl and me. We continue to pray and love you dearly.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger SG said...

I just read Tod's last journal entry and can barely type through the tears. I don't know your family that well but this whole tragedy has hurt my heart for you in ways I can't explain. I wish there was a way to wipe away the pain of the last month and bring him back to you guys. I hate this for you and all of your family. I don't understand why things like this happen. It stinks. I'm so sorry for your loss. I pray for the unimaginable for your family... for peace, comfort, and unlabored joy. I pray God will allow time to ease your grief and hope to fill that void that living in a Conner-less world has left you. It feels so trite and empty to say "I'm praying for you," But it's all I have. I am praying for you and your entire family all the time by name. I suspect legions of others who know your family or just know of your family are also praying. I truly hope that on some level knowing that helps. Be strong friend and hug those sweet girls tight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home