Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Anyone Can Whistle

I'm a born whistler. Legend has it I could whistle before I could talk. I would sit in my stroller and whistle Sweet Georgia Brown. It sort of freaked people out.

My wife tells me I whistle all the time. It's just a natural thing for me to do. I wouldn't be surprised if I whistled in my sleep. Someone told me once that a person who whistles all the time is a happy person. I think there is something to that. It's difficult to whistle when you're sad.

Yesterday I caught myself whistling a happy tune for the first time in weeks. And I felt guilty. I stopped. It's strange to me that I feel like I'm dishonoring Connor by being happy when I know he would want nothing less for me. The only way to honor his life is to live mine to the fullest. And yet I stopped whistling.

Instead I went back to my office and worked. I'm preparing for two worship services (one at which I'm preaching) and getting ready for camp next week. There is a lot to do, some of it difficult. As I poured myself into the work, I was reminded of these words from the beautifully sad song Anyone Can Whistle:

Anyone can whistle
That's what they say
Easy
Anyone can whistle
Any old day
Easy
What's hard is simple
What's natural comes hard
Maybe you could show me
How to let go
Lower my guard
Learn to be free
Maybe if you whistle
Whistle for me

11 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

(whistling "Too Legit to Quit" just for you.)

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even whistle except for the loud ballfield kind of whistle but I just gave a loud one for you! :)

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger judy thomas said...

Does humming count? Brandon says I am a hummer. So I hum for you today.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Beaner said...

I actually can tell when my husband is mad at me when he starts whistling. Have you ever heard of a mad whistler before??? Anyway....my whistling is mre blissful, so I'l whistle a little prayer for you today!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger SG said...

Some how I can only whistle while breathing in, never can while breathing out. I lost my breath for you just now!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

(wild boar grunting "Never Gonna Give You Up")

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger julie said...

I love it that you were whistling.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

(whistling the "Good Night Song"...while Craig and Chris dance)

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Craig said...

I dance, hum and whistle many for you:
Funky Cole Medina
Safety Dance
Ice Ice Baby
a little Judson Spence
and whatever else you want

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Val said...

Though we are to salute one another with a holy kiss, I think this is all the puckering you'll get from me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home