Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Belated Birthdays and March Madness

Okay, so I'm not a great brother or a thoughtful Uncle. Thankfully, my family is understanding when it comes to the NCAA basketball tournament controlling my brain. And obviously I'm an expert at picking games (see last blog entry).

My sister Lee Ann had a birthday on March 11. She spent it in Nicaragua on a medical mission trip as a triage nurse. Lee Ann's oldest daughter is off to college next year, leaving three little brothers at home. I can only shake my head in disbelief when I consider the schedule my sister keeps. Just for grins she went back to school a couple of years ago and finished first in her nursing class. She is talented and beautiful and smart, but her children really are her crowning jewels and they are the most brilliant jewels one can imagine.

Lee Ann's child number three, my nephew Connor turned 13 on the 18th. Unlike his Uncle Stephen, he does know how to pick basketball games. He has a good chance of winning the bracket contest we are both in. Connor is smart and a great athlete and handles the difficult role of being in the middle of three brothers with aplomb. And let's be honest, it's not easy keeping up with school, sports and family responsibilities, all the while fighting off a significant group of female admirer's.

And finally, there is my oldest nephew Hutton. I'm actually getting this one in under the wire. Hutton turns 16 tomorrow. I've always felt a kinship with Hutton. Maybe it's because he was the first male addition to the next generation of our family. Maybe it's our shared affinity for the guitar and recently another shared musical activity, leading worship. Hutton was the Ring Bearer (or as he called it at the time, the "Ring Master") in our wedding. He actually inspired a song I wrote for the occasion called "We Can." Hutton is subtle. He can seem quiet sometimes, but pay attention, you don't want to miss what he has to say. He quietly goes about the business of being a great friend, a wonderful student-athlete and a good brother.

I'm thankful for my family and I'm very proud of them. The Bailey's are not big birthday celebrater's, but I do usually try to get a card in the mail. Thanks in advance for your forgiveness that I let that slide this year.

And Happy Birthday! I'm glad you were born!

2 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

ymewispThank you Stephen...you made me cry...ok no shock there! You are right about my children and I am incredibly blessed to be their mom. I might see you on Monday or Tuesday...Bailey has district golf south of Denton. Enjoy Rainey and Em...before you know it they will grow up and leave you for college! Connor is having fun with the NCAA pool and Hutton is ready to drive. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

Ooops...typed the word verification a little too soon! That has no secret meaning!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home