Monday, August 21, 2006

Freedom

I believe I am an ecumenical (Ecumenical - Of or relating to the worldwide Christian church. Concerned with establishing or promoting unity among churches or religions). However, I talk to people who say they are ecumenical, then turn around and disparage some denomination they don't like. One friend told me he was having a difficult time finding a church to attend because he was an ecumenical. That makes no sense to me. It seems to me that being an ecumenical frees you to worship at any church that claims Jesus as Lord. It doesn't limit your options, it expands them.

Here's the deal: Christians like to talk about freedom in Christ, but too often we come together and chain each other down with silly rules. Remind you of anyone? See The Pharisee's Guide to Perfect Holiness. Jesus said that unless we go beyond rule keeping to relationship, we can't hang out with God. Period.

My friend Jay Holland explained it to me like this: a recovering alcoholic could be sober for years, but he still thinks about whether or not he could handle having a drink. Someone who is not an alcoholic (take me for instance) is free from those thoughts. I spend no time wondering about that. I never even consider it because I'm not bound by alcoholism.

Those who are bound by the law spend a lot of time trying not to break it or looking for loopholes in it. Those who are free in Christ follow the guidelines set out by a loving Father and caring Creator in response to His love.

Freedom doesn't mean you always get your way, it means you've given up the need to always get your way; it doesn't mean you don't have to submit to church authorities anymore, it means you are happily submitted to Jesus Christ; and it doesn't give you the right to judge other peoples hearts. There is certainly no freedom in the judging business.

Go. Serve. Worship Him. Be free.

4 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Stacey Pearson said...

I agree with you man. That is great. I will never forget the statement that you gave the other day that your dad said, "Don't tell me I have to and I won't tell you that you can't." (or vise versa). Freedom is great, we should claim it! By the way, we started an IronMen blog, check it out sometime, www.ironmenministry.blogspot.com

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Beaner said...

Great analogy! I want to enjoy that freedom!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

Great Post!! Thanks!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

so great talking for a while this morning. When are we ever gonna live in the same town again???? Been missin you, Fish and Dog bad the last few weeks. Talk Fish into coming for ZOE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home