Monday, September 10, 2007

The Bride of Christ vs. The Stepford Wives

I feel it only fair to warn you that what I'm about to say is coming from a place of frustration. But if you can't spout off on your own blog, then where can you?

Recently I found myself amongst a group of christian mothers. We were not at a church building, but we were at a business that while opened to the general public, tends to cater to christians. Perhaps because I was the only dad in the room or because I didn't know anyone there or (I fear) because of the way I was dressed (not very nicely), no one seemed all that interested in speaking with me. They were however, very excited to speak with each other. I lowered my head and tried to remain as inconspicuous as possible, but my ears were attuned to my surroundings. In other words, I did some big time eaves dropping!

Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. When I arrived at this establishment I noticed my dirty Honda stood out like a sore thumb in a sea of top of the line mini-vans and SUV's. I hesitated after entering and almost stepped back outside to make sure I was in the right place. I thought I might have mistakenly joined a Mary Kay cosmetics party. Finally, as I made a quick scan of the room I was surprised to see that apparently I was the only one there who was neither a member of a tanning salon nor had participated in breast augmentation surgery. Hey, I'm a healthy guy! Give me a break, it was difficult not to notice.

So, I began to listen to the conversations around me. The themes were common: kids, husbands, school starting, etc. There was talk of vacation homes, husbands' great new jobs and boasting about how talented their children were. There was also a lot of talk about church. These ladies were all church attenders, but did not seem to attend the same churches. Some bragged about their churches programs, while others complained about theirs. Some spoke about how awesome their pastors were, others rolled their eyes and said they wished they had a cool pastor.

I began to consider what a non-church attender would think of what he/she heard. The more I listened, the more sickened I felt by it. In fact, if you replaced "church" with "country club" and "pastor" with "tennis pro" you could not tell a bit of difference between this and any other group of rich women.

There were a few "God blesses" and some talk of prayer thrown in, but that only seemed to make it worse. "My Brittany is such a gifted dancer! You'd have to be blind not to see she's the most talented one in her class. If she doesn't get the lead in the upcoming production, it will be a crime and I will have to have a talk with that director, God bless him. So, we're praying about it."

It was the PTL networks version of the Stepford Wives.

I felt a mixture of anger and embarrassment welling up inside, so I stepped out of the room and called my wife (the polar opposite of these women). She talked me off the ledge, but I haven't been able to shake the frustration of that experience, partially because I know in similar situations I have contributed to the problem.

I'm going to try not to do that anymore.

5 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger julie said...

Stephen, I completely understand...I have been in the midst of those kind of conversations and find that I want to run...what does that say about the church in America?

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to feel out of place because I didn't have children and mothers often treat those of us who have chosen not to have children as if we're stupid. I get "you wouldn't know anything about this" as they turn their backs to continue the discussion.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Eric said...

I'm impressed you got in. A fellow stay at home dad I knew (when I was a stay at home dad) inquired about MOPS (mother's of preschoolers) and was told in no uncertain terms that he was not allowed to join. It is a different world for the dad.

The stats for years have been telling us that there is no measurable difference between people who claim to be Christian and those who don't. It's just disappointing to discover actual anecdotal(sp?) proof.

A Northern Cousin

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Amy C said...

Just be glad you aren't a woman to be subject to more of that dribble and worse, gossip!

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Amy C said...

Did I mention back biting? That is always nice too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home