Monday, April 03, 2006

Temptation

I was with a group of men this weekend and we were discussing temptation. I am certainly tempted in a lot of ways that other men are, greed, lust, the desire for total world domination, but those are so obvious. I see those coming from a mile away. I have a missile defense system in place for those.

Just in case Satan reads my blog, and I have every reason to believe he does even though he's never left a comment, let me tell you the three places where I am most vulnerable. My friend Jim challenged me with these several years ago, but only recently have I seen it play out in my life.

1. Ambition. I live in a culture that applauds the self made man and loves stories about pulling yourself up by your own boot straps. I don't know what boot straps are, but I do know that if I'm spending all my time and energy attempting to raise my status in this world, I don't have much left in the old gas tank to serve other people. And with the price of gas these days...

2. Human Affection. Love one another right? Children obey your parents? Here is where this gets me. I'm guilty of making decisions based on how others (friends, parents, wife, etc.) will react instead of what God has called me to do. This can quickly become confusing because even trusted brothers and sisters commend me when I do this. For instance, if God calls me to Africa and I don't go because my parents are getting older or it's not a good time for my children, I'm actually held up as an example of a good son, husband and father. Good thing Abraham didn't think that way. Relax Mom, I have not been called to Africa.

3. Common Sense. I think I have pretty good common sense. I do not intend to sale everything I have and give it to the poor. I know better than to share a meal with just anyone, there are germs to consider. And I'm certainly not going to waste my time throwing my net on the other side of the boat when I haven't caught anything all night!

So there you have it. I would describe myself as an ambitious man who loves his wife and kids, respects his parents and makes decisions based on common sense. Hey, I'll be made an Elder in some church before you know it.

5 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

Ouch!

Good to be in touch with your "temptations". I think many of us suffer from the same attributes and listen when people tell us how good those traits are..

Thanks for the wake up slap!!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Amy C said...

I guess when we follow God, we should leave that "good ole common sense," behind, but not without getting a sense of who God wants us to be first.

As for ambition. I guess we all need to remember that the last shall be first, and the first shall be last.

If you make elder, can I call you Bishop Bailey?

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger SG said...

Larry makes a good point. Al I know is that I wish my soul had caller id so I could be for sure who is calling. I think it is God. It sounds like God, looks like God and feels like God but then again...

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Lovell's Lookout said...

Baileyman- Great post. It is "easier" to avoid the supposed "big stuff". The "small" stuff seems to be what the enemy gets us- all in the name of looking Christian. I guess in the true sense of reality we have mis-labeled some things. The "small" stuff should be re-labled. After all, in the church, pride seems to be the most over-looked, least confessed, and underrated "sin". Yet the bible tells us that Pride is the only that God outright opposes. Literally meaning, "when you do this, God is playing on the opposite team, against you!!" Ouch.

Beware of Bailey- CanLovRenWad will be in full force at the Golf Tourney...BAiley, Bailey & Bailey better beware!!!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger John Bailey said...

Bailey, Bailey, Bailey, & Bailey are making concessions to those less capable on the golf course. Rumor has it that they are asking the Sr. Bailey to play left handed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home