Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Two Conversations

Yesterday I was dropping Rainey off at her Grandparents house on my way to a meeting about leading a special night of worship at a church I do not attend. There was a Zoe CD playing in my car and Rainey asked, "Is that you singing or are those professionals?" I told her it was Mr. Brandon and his group and they were indeed professionals. I also told her that some people considered me a professional. She told me that I was just a church leader, but then she sensed that she might have hurt my feelings, so she took my arm and said, "I don't care if you are a church leader, a trained helper or a conductor. Your best job is being my Daddy and you are the best Daddy in the world." Yea, I'm pretty tightly wrapped around that finger.

--------------------

This morning I made my usual stop at 7-11 for some coffee. I'm there so often I think I get it for free more often than I pay for it. My friend Ray (actually it's Mahmood Rabbani, but you can call him Ray) who is Pakistani and a Muslim was working. We often discuss religion and politics if the store is not too busy. Usually that is early on Sunday mornings when I'm on my way to church which is a pretty good way to prepare to lead worship. Anyway, Ray told me a couple of weeks ago that his wife is in Pakistan right now working and won't be back until April. I asked him about her today. Ray said that the whole Mohammad Cartoon uproar had made things a little dangerous but she was okay. Then he said something profound:

"If the prophet (Mohammad) were here today, he would tell everyone to just let it go. There is a proverb that says, 'The dogs will bark, but the caravan continues down the road.'"

I confessed to Ray that so often it is the same with Christians. We react in such unChrist-like ways sometimes and if Jesus were here He would tell us to forgive and turn the other cheek and serve and love.

Ray agreed and gave me my coffee for free.

6 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger Amy C said...

The wounds from a friend can be trusted. He puts the sweetest angels on this earth, to always tell the truth no matter what, and to keep us humble.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger julie said...

Stephen, this blog moved me incredibly. Keep talking to Ray...not because you need to convert him ...we always think that...but because your conversation is Spirit-filled and the world changes one conversation at a time.
I love Rainey's words. You are doing your most important in her life...keep being the best daddy in the whole world...to her.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Shanta said...

Thanks for that post. I appreciate your sincere affections for a man that is viewed as such an outsider here. My father is a Hindu that immigrated from India to USA in the 70's and married my fiesty Nashvillian mom. I grew up in love with the ACU bubble and people are always intrigued by my religious relationship with my Dad. Honestly, it is a tricky and confusing subject for me, but I can certainly attest to the fact that he has shown me how to be more Christlike by his example in so many ways, like Ray, and he is a witness to me.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

awesome post, my brother. I love who you are.

The real truth is, YOU'RE the professional. You know I'm you're biggest fan. Love me some Mandy.

Wish you were here today.

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Jordan Bunch said...

I cant wait to come work with you sometime soon, "real professional" that you are. I got to lead worship at Southern Hills this last Sunday it was a huge blessing for me, I hope it was for everyone else. Talk to you soon.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Lovell's Lookout said...

Don't ever forget the BLENDERS. EVEry great professional has humble beginnings with paisley ties and suspenders....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home