Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I'm Listening

I need to be held accountable for a commitment I made several months ago. I committed to paying more attention to God speaking to me regardless of where or how He chooses to do it.

He speaks to me through media, so I watch TV and movies and read books differently than I used to. And of course He shows me new ideas in scripture all the time.

He speaks to me through other people. Sometimes it's as obvious as a sermon from the pulpit, but more often it's a waitress at IHOP, a coffee drinker at Starbucks, a drug addict, a new believer, an old man at the park, etc. So, I really have to pay attention.

Nature is one place He chooses to speak quite often so I have paid more attention to sunsets and starry nights. When I forget, He sends my four year old daughter Rainey to remind me. "Daddy, we have to go outside and look at the moon! It's so bright!" She reminds me to thank my heavenly Daddy for such glorious sights.

I was reminded of my commitment today after reading something Donald Miller (surprise, surprise) wrote after spending some time watching seals play at the beach in California.

"As we drove back to the conference we were attending, I wondered how good it was to take God with us, and how hard it was to let go of our agendas so we can feel what it is that He wants us to feel, rather than pine away for what I want to accomplish, tricked into believing it will make me feel something God has already given free of charge, no work involved."

Listen for the voice of God today.

2 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Amy C said...

Why is it so hard to let God guide us? To stop struggling against that which he is trying to give us freely, instead of working away for that which is fleeting. We are so hard headed! Amy

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Beaner said...

God shows up as a hawk for me. I don't know how that happened - I just noticed that I'd see a hawk (which is kinda rare) when I was questioning or doubting something & now it seems to happen more & more. The best was when I was I was singing "There's no God like Jehovah. There's no God like Jehovah." really loud in my house & then a huge hawk flew right by my window & sat in the tree by my window. There IS no God like Jehovah!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home