Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Sisters Birthday

Today is my sister Lee Ann's birthday. The last year has been the most difficult of her life, a record I pray is never broken. The last time she turned the page on a year she was the mother of four healthy, beautiful children. This time she is a grieving mother who has experienced the most devastating loss imaginable, the loss of her 13 year old son, Connor.

There is still much for which to give thanks. Her other three kids are still healthy and beautiful. Her husband adores her. Her God has not abandoned her. But grief surrounds every holiday, every marking of time.

That said, I've never been more proud of my sister than I am today. The honesty, faith and courage she's modeled through this horrific year has been amazing. Her willingness to simply get out of bed, put one foot in front of the other and step forward is an inspiration to me. I do not know that I could accomplish the same were I in her shoes.

To say that I'm proud of her doesn't even begin to cover it. I was proud of her for being a great mom and wife. I was proud of her for gracefully handling other situations over the years that seemed difficult at the time. The feeling I have for her now goes way beyond pride. It's respect, honor, love, admiration. It's a feeling of reverence for someone who has walked through something I can't imagine walking through. She understands something about God that I can't understand. Like the body of Christ, she has been blessed, broken and is now being used in influential ways she can't even comprehend.

Her son is still dead. Her pain is still intense. Her questions are still unanswered. But on this birthday she understands better than on the last that this world is not her home.

Lee Ann, today I celebrate that you were born. But the fact that you were born again and have heaven and a sweet reunion to look forward to fills me with a thanksgiving that cannot be expressed in words. I mourn with you, I ache for you, but you have illuminated the meaning of hope for me and so many others in ways that I've never understood it before.

And so I ask this blessing for you today: May you know that your Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth. And you will stand with him.

3 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger Mihills Family Blog said...

Stephen,

You have such a beautiful way with words and expressing your thoughts. That is truly a blessing. I just wanted to add my love and respect for Lee Ann and all of your family. You have all been such a tremendous source of inspiration for your faith during this past year.
We continue to pray for Tod, Lee Ann and all of the family constantly. Your whole family is very dear to us.

In Him,

Debbie Mihills

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

I love you Stephen and I'm so thankful you are my brother. Lift me up this week...

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Jean Campbell said...

I stumbled onto your blog from somebody else's blog. I felt compelled to say that when one loses a child, the grief doesn't go away, time doesn't heal. With time, scars form and it is DIFFERENT than it is now.

Blessings on you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home