Monday, January 07, 2008

Unexpected Birthday

I had a birthday a couple of days ago. Now before all four of you who read this start filling my comment box with warm wishes, you need to understand something. Because my fateful day comes at the end of a traditionally busy holiday season, almost everyone (myself included) is more than tired of celebrating by the time it arrives. Most people forget it altogether while others send belated greetings which are appreciated, but not necessary. That's not to say that I have anything against birthdays, I don't. I just don't want to be another thing to be tended to at the bottom of an already daunting holiday to-do list.

My parents trained me early on for what they knew would be an oft forgotten day by keeping it low key from the beginning. The traditional parties ended at about age 6 and turned into a few friends hanging out and me getting to choose the dinner menu that night. The best remembered of these birthday meals was pizza, green beans, apple sauce and chocolate pie. Come to think of it, that still sounds good.

This years particular birthday (38 if you're scoring at home) was very pleasant. I was served breakfast in bed by my oldest daughter who also gave me numerous homemade cards and (along with her little sister) a lot of birthday hugs and kisses. Stephanie gave me a reading chair that she found half price at an outlet and a lamp for our bedroom (yeah, that's hot) and took me to lunch and a movie. Pretty good day.

I did receive a few other gifts and greetings from family and friends and believe me that meant a lot. In a strange way, low expectations result in a higher degree of joy. I'm surprised to receive anything at all, so I'm overjoyed when I do.

I believe in marking time and celebrating, however, like Carl Sandberg said, "Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me." It was a surprise to me when I arrived in this world. In fact, I can recall having no expectations about the future whatsoever. So I mark my day of entry in the same way; no expectations, all surprises. It's worked out pretty well so far.

By the way, my wife does NOT feel the same way I do. Her birthday is February 15. You might want to start shopping now.

5 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I know a perfect gift you can give Steph...a golf trip to Midland on friday.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger SG said...

dec 18 is not much better than jan... what was it again? i'm just happy if we get to eat out! well, happy birthday to you! (notice no caps... i wanted to keep this comment low key! :]

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Val said...

Sorry I missed it. To make up for it, how about lunch on me next time you're in Abilene? We won't call it a birthday lunch- how about happy day ending in "Y" day? On the other hand, if it means I get to hear a bunch of people with "flair" singing a cheesy song, I might reconsider.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger julie said...

Stephen Bailey, I am so glad that you made an entrance into this world. The spirit you hold is beyond words. I hope that you enjoyed the day those around you let you know how very loved you are.
I met your niece, Bailey. She is amazing. We helped maked the Christmas Blessing meal together at Highland. So sweet and so generous. So like you.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger DebMc said...

Look, there's five of us. LOL

Happy late birthday, Stephen. May this be a blessed and joyfilled year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home