Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tired Head and Thought Walks

Every now and then I'll hear a word or phrase that catches my attention because of its clever usage and I'll quickly adopt it. Today I thought I'd share a couple of those phrases that have recently tickled my fancy. Who knows, maybe they'll catch on and become as popular and ageless as "Where's the Beef?" or New Coke. I just hope this goes better than my ill fated 2003 attempt to bring back the phrase "Keep on Truckin." Here are two phrases I invite you to try out for yourself.

Tired Head - I first heard this used on a popular Dallas Sports Radio show when a topic was brought up that had been rehashed ad infinitum over the years. The host said, "That gives me tired head." In my experience, discussions about both religion or party politics result in tired head. My wife gets it every time I talk about our finances.

Thought Walk - I heard this phrase used by Skip Hollandsworth on another call in radio show. He was discussing an article he wrote about T. Boone Pickens for Texas Monthly. One caller asked a long, multi-faceted question. When she finally stopped talking, Hollandsworth apologized for not being able to remember every part of her inquiry by explaining that he is sometimes guilty of taking a thought walk while other people are talking. I thought this was brilliant. I think we are all guilty of that at times. And if you pay close attention, you can tell when the person you're speaking to has strolled off in his or her mind. Next time you sense that, stop and ask your listener if they are taking a thought walk.

Try these on for size and let me know how it goes. Also, please send any other words or phrases you think might brighten my own limited vocabulary...or make a funny t-shirt.

3 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

Love the thought walk. Just don't let Steph know when you are taking one and don't believe she isn''t taking one while you talk to her about finances! Could someone be on a thought marathon...like all through his senior year?

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger judy thomas said...

We all need to take more thought walks.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Craig said...

I had a Blog Fart while reading you blog. You think that phrase will stick?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home