Monday, May 19, 2008

The Know-It-All - X, Y, Z

X

Nothing of interest in the X section, so allow me if you will to use this space to x-plain (sorry) what a good time I've had reading The Know-It-All and writing about it. I've attempted to record my thoughts about these topics in my own words, but I'm certain I've plagiarized AJ Jacobs occasionally throughout the process. Forgive me. He's simply a very clever writer and I'm...well, I'm posting on a barely read blog.

My thanks to Mr. Jacobs for reading the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica and allowing me a glimpse into that experience. Read his book for yourself and let me know what stands out to you. Now, onward to the finish line!

Y

Yang, Franklin - Born Chen Yang, this 1957 Nobel prize winning physicist changed his name to Franklin after reading an autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. Among his many accomplishments, Ben Franklin discredited a fraud who claimed he could put people in trances. His name was Franz Mesmer, from whom the word "mesmerize" is derived.

yodel - Everyone knows the Swiss can yodel, but did you know the pygmies and Australian Aborigines are also expert yodelers? However, their hot chocolate cannot compare to the Swiss.

Young, Thomas - Proposed the wave theory of light. At the time, any opposition to Newton's theory was unthinkable, so people poo-pooed Young's idea. This brings to mind a wonderful quote from George Bernard Shaw: "All great truths start as blasphemies." Consider if you will, the life of one Jesus Christ.

Z

Zywiec - A town in south-central Poland known for its breweries. More importantly, the last entry in the old EB.

It's interesting to finish this little exercise just as we begin a study of Ecclesiastes at our church. There is a fable wherein the wise men of the kingdom condense all of the knowledge contained in the encyclopedia into one sentence: "This too shall pass." Very Ecclesiastical. And comforting.

Donald Miller said, "It turns out the droplet of our knowledge is a bit lost in the ocean of our unknowing." After a year spent reading the entire EB, I wonder if AJ Jacobs would agree.

2 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger Mihills Family Blog said...

You might be surprised at how many faithful readers you have! I check your blog every day and whenever you have a new posting you always make me laugh and brighten my day!!

A Faithful Reader

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Val said...

I agree. This blog is more widely read than you probably realize.

Another quote related to the one with which you closed your post is by Elisabeth Elliott. Not Nino's daughter, but the lady who lost her husband to murder at the hands of the people he was trying to serve. She said, "...Cause and effect are in God's hands. Is it not the part of faith simply to let them rest there? God is God. I dethrone him in my heart if I demand that he act in ways that satisfy my idea of justice... The one who laid the earth's foundations and settled its dimensions knows where the lines are drawn."

I absolutely love that.

And of course the song to go along with this is Stephen Curtis Chapman's "God is God." Ryan Porche did a pretty good arrangement if you need one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home