Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Jesus? Can You Hear Me Now?

Last night I received a phone call from someone who needed, no I take that back, wanted a favor. I receive those calls a lot at my office, but this lady had somehow laid her hands on my cell phone number. It really put me in an awkward position. The only way to help her was to leave my family that I had barely seen in two days, get money out of my account and be gone for the next two hours. This was not a life or death situation. It was sad and difficult, but again more of a want than a need. I had the money. I own a car. I was capable of helping, but I was EXTREMELY frustrated that she had my cell number. After some thought, I gave her a couple of alternative options to me helping her at that very moment, but I didn't hear back from her.

That got me to thinking. Not what would Jesus do to help that lady, but what would Jesus do with His cell phone? Would He turn it off at night? Would He only answer calls from recognized numbers? Would He think the world was going to come to an end if He were unreachable for a few hours? Would He go up on the mountain to be alone and throw His phone into the Sea of Galilee?

I mean, I love technology (but not as much as you, you see. But, still I love technology), but I feel trapped by it. I have become a slave to my phone and my computer! It's like a bad sci-fi movie! My printer that keeps jamming is laughing at me behind my back! The World Wide Web Wizard is controlling my life from behind a fire wall somewhere!

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore! Are you with me?

If so, shoot me a text message or an email and let me know. Or call me on my cell at home tonight. Talk to you soon!

3 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger Amy C said...

I think Jesus would turn it off and check messages once or twice a day if it wasn't for work and turn it off if he was otherwise engaged.

I think I will call you tonight to talk about it after church (on your cell of course). Is 1 am good. I am really busy. If not, how about 5:30 am before I work out? Ha, like I work out.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Stevie B...I tried texting you on my cell while diling your office on my office line. Since I couldn't get you there I emailed and IM'd.

Seriously. Technology. Love it. Hate it. Live by it too often. But love it when it brings me closer to you, Fish and Dog. Got to talk to you yesterday, Chris today, and got into a text war with Fish tonight. In those ways, it keeps the distance from you guys managable and many days, keeps my sanity through hearing your voices. :)

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Lane Ladewig said...

just found your blog. I will keep reading on my computer. if I dont have my computer I will check it out on my phone. I had my laptop stolen last week and I felt lost without it. Technology is like women. Cant live with them, but can't live without them. Love the blog man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home