Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Thoughts from Idaho

There's no snow on the ground here which is ironic when I think back to the blanket of white stuff we received last Thanksgiving in Midland, TX. It is cold here though and a fire in the fire place and warm cup of coffee are welcome this morning.

Stephanie and the girls and I are enjoying being with Stephanie's family while my brother and his family are in Abilene with his in-laws and Lee Ann and Tod celebrate in Midland and prepare for another Midland Christian football play-off game. Dad is giving thanks in Kenya where it is easy to count your blessings compared to the AIDS patients he's serving there. And Rose? Well, she's enjoying a quiet day of football and solitude and that's just fine with her.

I guess there will never be a holiday or birthday that sneaks past without thoughts of Connor. It was here in Idaho that we received the news of the accident and our unbelievable loss. Thankfully, those first few hours after that horrible phone call are a blur, so I have only good feelings about being here.

Last Thanksgiving however, is a clear and thankfully sweet memory. As we sat at Lee Ann and Tod's house with the absence of our beautiful Connor hanging over us like a dark cloud, we attempted to figure out how this was supposed to work. We told stories, looked at scrapbooks and cried our way through a Thanksgiving prayer. What next? I wondered. Traditional football watching, naps and leftovers I supposed, but nothing tasted or felt...well, right.

And then God did what only He can do.

Snow began to fall in Midland. Big white fluffy perfect snowball making wonderful flakes! We marveled at its beauty and then wrapped ourselves up, oldest to youngest, and went outside for a massive snowball fight. Before we knew it, we were laughing, playing, hurling snowballs and feeling a weight lifted. It was indeed, as if He had sent that snow specifically for our family. I would not have been surprised to learn that it only fell on our street. It was in a word, graceful. And Connor would have loved it.

I'm mindful of all those who are suffering the heartbreak of loss today, specifically the Meador family after the sudden passing of Prentice and the Fishers as they mourn the loss of Aunt Ro.

May the God of all peace, love and hope send you the snowfall of comfort you need today and may we all give thanks for His bountiful grace.

2 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

Thank you for this Stephen. Still unbelievable for me so much of the time...but also amazing that we are here and hopeful. I shouldn't be visiting the cemetery...that is just not right but I am. Last Thanksgiving was a gift to us. It helped us to be with all of the Bailey's and to talk about Connor and the SNOW...that will always feel like a gift from Connor! Bailey said that Thanksgiving day was one we were dreading so much and is now one of her sweetest memories. Love you and I will text you about Hut's game.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Stephen, I feel blessed that I was able to share that day with all of you. As Bailey described it, it is a sweet memory for me as well. I wish you a Blessed Holiday Season. Please tell all the girls and Stephanie hello for me. I am thankful for all of you. Love Melissa Kindel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home