Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Shared Experience

Okay, here goes. I'm not sure if what I'm about to write down will make any sense at all, but it is rattling around in my brain and the attempt to communicate it, I feel certain, will at least be beneficial to me. Read on if you wish.

I hate competitive arts. I don't want to compare my painting, song, play, book or sculpture to someone else's. The power of art is in the experience of creating it and then sharing it with others, not to be judged, but to simply be experienced.

My oldest niece Jordan is an excellent actor. She has been performing in regional and school productions practically all of her life. Last weekend I traveled to Austin to watch her perform in a one-act play competition. It took a lot of work to get to the state finals in Austin and it is an accomplishment she should be very proud of. However, because it is a competition with winners and losers, I have heard little talk about the rich shared experience of putting a cast together, rehearsing a piece and then including an audience in that experience. On the other hand, I have heard a lot of talk about bad productions, idiotic judges and pressure to win, win, win.

This started me thinking about what I miss most about being in the entertainment business. Oddly enough, I don't really miss performing for drunk cowboys as they spin their rocky mountain clad ladies wildly around the dance floor. What I do miss is rehearsing. I miss the creative process of sitting in a room with other musicians and trying new things. I miss sharing a song I'd written with people who would give me honest feedback; not so I could sell the song and get rich, but simply for the joy of sharing it. I miss the freedom to mess up and try again. What I miss is the shared creative experience.

Now, come to church with me. What happens there? Supposedly a group of people come together to honor God, to worship Him and in the midst of that to encourage, challenge, love, comfort and support each other. A shared experience.

Unfortunately, what often happens is a sort of competitive church, not unlike competitive art. It becomes all about who has the best performance, lights, sound, and who gets the biggest crowds and we miss the shared experience. My point is not that we necessarily need to unplug the microphones, sell the buildings or even change the seating arrangement (although we might need to do all of that). I'm simply saying we need to gather for the shared experience and then let it happen. We need to dive into it, engage with it, regardless of style, format, place or who else shows up to participate.

Worship is art and I can't help but believe the Creator of everything, the great Artist agrees with me about competitive art.

Does that make any sense at all? Oh well, I warned you.

11 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, Blogger Amy C said...

You make so much sense. Preach it. I love nothing more than to experience worship with you. There are few times in my life where I can let go and release whatever is in my heart and give myself over to God like worshipping on Sunday morning or Wednesday night. Lame and sad maybe, but true. I crave that expression and outpouring to the Lord. Thank you for giving it all your heart.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

YES!!! So...when? As soon as I get done eating bon-bons all day let's plant our church in Key West.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

It makes SOOO much sense to me!

Great post!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Beaner said...

I was an Acting Major, so I know EXACTLY what you mean!!! When I think back, I miss rehearsals the most too! What a great analogy for the church! (BTW - I'm sure my husband & I would join you for the Key West church plant! He's an actor/singer too!)

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger judy thomas said...

Of course, I agree, but you failed to mention how we even treat our own psyches competively--Is what I am doing spiritual enough? How do I compare to others in my prayer life? I really must not miss a service or I might be compared to a backslider. Am I working hard enough in the kingdom?

And all the while, God shakes his head and says, I am the way, the truth and the life.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger judy thomas said...

that should be "competatively"--I can't have myself compared to someone who can't spell.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Lovell's Lookout said...

Stephen- Great POint-- that is the best blog I have ever read. I put it above all the other blog's I have read. Some people talk about things that don't connect with me- but you do. YOurs is the best. I wish they had a BLOG literary meet- you would win hands down..
Peace...

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger John Bailey said...

That's all well and good for you artsy types but what about those of us who have no creative genes - those who work best with facts, figures, formulas and equations? Living in the presence of God means we see that everything he "created" has form, function and is very orderly and we stand in awe.Not very exciting or jazzy but I can assure you it is very profound.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

First of all Dad, stop pretending you're not creative. You know how to use both sides of your brain!
Secondly, the great thing about the shared experience is that all are welcomed at the table. We just have to be open to different dinner conversation depending on who shows up. And, God is always there, so there's that.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Well said Stephen. I hate competitive art too. But here's my baggage--competition is embedded in my DNA. Perhaps this is the essence of our "free market system" -- but I think that mentality has been binding my spirit--even as I try to break free from it.

I love to create spontaneous music. I love to respond to someone's lead with a harmony or something rattling around in my head. But it's happened soooo rarely. The few times I've felt free enough to "scat from my heart" I end up feeling like I'm just trying to draw attention to myself rather than just pouring out praise to God.

So here's my suggestion--why don't we spend a few days "rehearsing" together? I have just the place in mind. --Ben Wall

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Val said...

Oh, so true. And it is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the concept of worship as art.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home